Reef Saltâ„¢ is a chemically sound blend of salts designed to replicate natural reef waters. It is specifically formulated for the reef environment and will provide ideal seawater concentrations of magnesium, calcium, and strontium with proper alkalinity and pH for closed reef aquarium systems. It contains all essential major, minor, and trace components found in natural reef waters, but contains no toxic or non-essential components such as nitrate, phosphate, silicate, arsenic, cadmium, or beryllium. Reef Saltâ„¢ dissolves quickly and completely and is ready to use in only a few minutes. Reef Saltâ„¢ will support and promote enhanced calcium and alkalinity stability for those wishing to maintain calcium above Natural Sea Water (NSW) levels (400 mg/L) as well as providing NSW levels of bromide (65 mg/L).
For marine only environments, use Seachem Marine Saltâ„¢ instead. It is specifically designed to meet the requirements of a marine only (not reef) system.
- Mix Reef Saltâ„¢ with dechlorinated tap or purified water. We recommend the use of a commercial dechlorinator likeÂ PrimeÂ®Â to neutralize any tap water chlorine and/or chloramines. If source water quality is extremely poor we recommend purification with a Seachem Pinnacleâ„¢ RO/DI system.
NOTE: To prepare small quantities, use 34 g of Reef Saltâ„¢ per each liter (1/2 cup per each US gallon) of water.
- Stir well to ensure a good mix. Although the Reef Saltâ„¢ solution may be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until it achieves oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium.
- Measure specific gravity. Recommended range is 1.020 â€“ 1.025 at 24 Â°C (75 Â°F).
NOTE: 675 g of Reef Saltâ„¢ is formulated to create 20 liters (1.4 lbs per 5 US gallons) of saltwater at a specific gravity of 1.021.
- Adjust salt level accordingly. If specific gravity is too low, add more Reef Saltâ„¢. If too high, add more dechlorinated or purified water.
- Change 20% of aquarium water every 2 weeks (or as necessary) to maintain optimum water quality.
USAGE NOTE: NEVER mix salt in an aquarium containing animals. In New Aquariums: Transfer animals to the aquarium AFTER salt is completely mixed and aerated and specific gravity has been adjusted. Use Seachemâ€™s StabilityÂ® to avoid â€œnew tank syndromeâ€ and prevent unnecessary animal losses in a new system.